Red Pepper Taqueria – You may be surprised to know that a full 90 percent of the menu here can be made gluten free. Some items are naturally gluten free, but many tacos can become gluten free by swapping to corn tortillas. Just ask your server.
By Malika Bowling Friday, January 12, 2018
Whether you are looking to get down to business at lunch or you just want to get out of the office, there's a spot for you in Buckhead. Here are 10 of the best lunch spots in this swank Atlanta neighborhood.
- Blue Moon Pizza – If an office outing is in your future, this pizza spot is a terrific choice. Who doesn't love pizza? Therestaurant does have lunch specials available daily, but it's better to go and share a pie as there are more than a dozen specialty pies to choose from. My go to is the Luna with chorizo, jalapenos and spicy ranch. Having a party? Blue Moon's food truck and can come to you.
- Capital Grille – Sure, when you think of Capital Grille, you think of a hearty steak. And the grille does that well, but the restaurant also features a delicious two-course lunch that will have you in and out in no time. Start with creamy butternut squash bisque then get the tenderloin sliders. Of course, they come with truffle fries. Wash it all down with the house-made grapefruit soda.
- Chow Bing – Chinese doesn’t always mean food that is laden with MSG. At Chow Bing, Gary Lin uses lots of organic meats and items containing no MSG. Get the crawfish wontons. In the mood for something really hot? Order the Sichuan wings, true to the “tongue-numbingly hot” promise on the menu. Just make sure you have a bubble tea handy to combat the burn. For a main, get Chow’s chicken.
- Davio’s – The signature spring rolls are a must order when you are dining with a group. Chicken parm, Reuben and Philly cheesesteak are highlights. Paninis and pizza are quite affordable, but steaks and other heartier options are available, too.
- Doraku – Located in swanky Shops Buckhead Atlanta, you’d expect prices to be extremely high, but at this sushi spot lunches are quite reasonable. Get a bento box or one of the the lunch specialties.
- La Fonda – This Latin restaurant features some of the best enchiladas you can find in the city. Quesadillas and paella are decent, too. Though the decor is no frills, parking is easy to come by and prices are quite affordable.
- Red Pepper Taqueria – Here you’ll find excellent margaritas and tacos. My favorite are the shrimp and kale tacos. But go and find your favorite.
- Storico Fresco – What started out as a simple Italian market has morphed into a full-fledged restaurant. Stock up on dry pastas like chickpea or squid ink from the display to take home with you. Pastas like lasagna are the highlight, but sides like grilled asparagus or the rapini (broccoli rabe) with smoked ricotta are just $6 each, or you may make your own vegetable plate by choosing three for $15.
- Sufi’s – The kebabs here are a specialty and are served with aromatic saffron basmati rice. There are plenty vegetarian selections though. Try delicious eggplant dishes, falafel wraps and more. Bringing the kids? There is a kebab menu for them.
- Yumbii – The popularity of Yumbii’s food truck spurred the restaurant location in Buckhead. You’ll find ample parking in the lot behind the restaurant. The small, fast casual restaurant has a bright and modern look. Some of my favorite items are the panko-crusted fish tacos, Asian rib eye Philly, spicy pork burrito and sides like sesame fries with Sriracha cheese dip.
Malika Bowling is the author of Culinary Atlanta: Guide to the Best Restaurants, Markets, Breweries and More!, and founder of Roamilicious. Malika also has served as a judge at various culinary competitions and food festivals, including Taste of Atlanta. Her podcast, Just a Byte, can be downloaded from iTunes. Follow her on Twitter @MalikaBowling and Instagram.
If you’re looking for a great place for your Cinco de Mayo celebration, you might want to check out Red Pepper Taqueria. We had lunch there and it was a blast! I hear they are going to have a real party with live music and they’re pulling out all the stops for their Cinco de Mayo party. The dining room is large, but the place to be will be the outdoor seating area so get here early! The band gets cranked up at 4:30pm.
We got started with Ceviche Blanco, its made with red snapper along with a citrus salsa that has a strong lime flavor. Angel thought of all the ceviche we’ve had, and he ranked the Red Pepper Taqueria ceviche his favorite! I thought the flavor was excellent, but I liked the fact it was served with fried plantains! Very unique and totally awesome!
We decided to indulge in our family style eating method so we each get to try everything. We ordered the Chicken Enchiladas, that was served with a diced tomato salsa and mexican rice. We also order the Al Pastor, a braised pork taco served with pickled onions and grilled pineapple; Pescado Frito, a fried fish taco with slaw, corn and sliced radish; and a Carne Asada, which is a beef taco that is skirt steak, cilantro, and pickled onions. The flavor of each of the Red Pepper Taqueria dishes was excellent. The fish and the pork tacos were great in flavor but were messy because of the liquid dripping out of them. Be careful if you order these so it doesn’t drip all over your clothes.
Red Pepper Taqueria: Revelers can take advantage of all-day specials including $2 smoked beef tacos, $3 Tecate, $4 Dos XX Lager as well as the full dinner menu and drink menu from 4 p.m. to close. Read more about Red Pepper Taqueria’s bottomless mimosas here.
2149 Briarcliff Road N.E., Atlanta. 404-325-8151 and 3135 Piedmont Road N.E., Atlanta. 404-869-2773. www.eatredpepper.com.
Red Pepper Taqueria: Get ready to party! Chef and owner Mimmo Alboumeh will host a four-year anniversary celebration for the Briarcliff location at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 13. For a customer appreciation pre-party featuring two hours of complimentary margaritas, beer, live music and more, RSVP via www.Facebook.com/RedPepperAtlanta. Throughout the night there will be a $3 menu that includes RP margaritas, "Mexican Break" shots and $3 craft beer available as well.
2149 Briarcliff Road N.E., Atlanta. 404-325-8151. www.eatredpepper.com.
Wednesday, April 13th at 6:30pm
Location: Red Pepper Taqueria Briarcliff
Posted by Liz and John Attaway, 4/3/16
RED PEPPER TAQUERIA BRIARCLIFF CELEBRATES FOUR YEARS OF SUCCESS
Celebratory Fiesta Featuring Food and Drink Specials, Live Music, and More!
Beginning at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, April 13, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia (March 31, 2016) – Red Pepper Taqueria is celebrating the four-year anniversary of its Briarcliff location in Decatur with a giant fiesta on Wednesday, April 13, 2016. As a special thank you, Executive Chef and Owner Chef Mimmo Alboumeh is hosting a Customer Appreciation Pre-Party from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. featuring two hours of complimentary signature margaritas, beer, and more for guests who RSVP and check-in on Facebook. Beginning at 4:30 p.m., live music will set the soundtrack for the rest of the fiesta as partygoers are invited to enjoy a special three-dollar menu that includes $3 RP margaritas, $3 “Mexican Break” shots and $3 craft beer, available at the bar. Of course, Red Pepper’s full dinner menu and oyster bar will be available along with its extensive tequila, local craft beer and signature cocktails selections. For more information, please visit Red Pepper Taqueria at www.eatredpepper.com or call 404-325-8151. To RSVP to the Four-Year Anniversary Customer Appreciation Pre-Party, visit, www.Facebook.com/RedPepperAtlanta.
Red Pepper Taqueria Briarcliff’s Four-Year Anniversary Fiesta
Wednesday, April 13, 2016
Customer Appreciation Pre-Party – 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. (RSVP Required)
Live music – 4:30 p.m.
Red Pepper Taqueria Buckhead
2149 Briarcliff Road
Atlanta, GA 30329.
For more information, please visit Red Pepper Taqueria at eatredpepper.com
or call 404.325.8151.
Stay connected on Twitter and Instagram at @redpepperatl and on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/RedPepperAtlanta.
ABOUT RED PEPPER TAQUERIA:
With two Atlanta locations, Red Pepper Taquería is considered one of Atlanta’s top dining destinations for Mexican cuisine. A direct reflection of Executive Chef and Owner Mimmo Alboumeh’s dedication and passion for always going above and beyond, Red Pepper Taquería features an impressive menu using only the finest and freshest locally sourced and organic ingredients. Red Pepper Taquería is open for lunch and dinner seven days a week and brunch on the weekends and is located at 2149 Briarcliff Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30329 and in Buckhead at 3135 Piedmont Road Atlanta, GA 30305. For more information, please visit www.eatredpepper.com. Stay connected on Twitter and Instagram at @redpepperatl and on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/RedPepperAtlanta.
Chilaquiles and other favorites go down a lot easier with a side of $15 bottomless mimosas, available at both Buckhead and Briarcliff locations. Saturday and Sunday,11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Up Peachtree, down Piedmont and around Lenox. Here are a week's worth of dining deals to making your Buckhead life a little cheaper:
Monday – Grab a friend and head to Red Pepper Taqueria's Piedmont Road location where you'll be able to take advantage of their $10 fajita skillet special and $10 pitchers of craft beer.
Not a fajita fan? No worries! The Big Ketch has a $10 burger and brew deal on Mondays featuring your choice of the Steakburger Royale or TBK Veggie Burger, a side item and any beer they have on tap.
Tuesday – Across the street from St. Cecilia, F&B Atlanta is now serving up $25 all-you-can-eat mussels each Tuesday. The special also includes one Hoegaarden beer and an order of pommes frites.
Wednesday – When you're done with work, Katana Teppanyaki & Sushi is waiting for you with $5 New Amsterdam Martinis in a variety of flavors like pomegranate and lychee plus $5 bar bites from 5 to 7 p.m. including Taiwanese S&P Chicken, Shishiso Peppers, spicy tuna on the rocks, edamame, eggplant fries, California roll, crunchy shrimp roll, spicy tuna roll, Kani Jalapeno and crab egg roll.
Thursday – Get your groove and your grub on at the same time at Red Martini. The newly opened upscale lounge offers $6 signature maki rolls (chef's choice) and Roca Patron martinis from 8 to 11 p.m. every Thursday night.
Looking to have a little less dance in your post-work one-person party? Head to Vine & Tap alone or with friends to take advantage of their $10 burger and draft beer special.
Saturday – Before you head out to one of Atlanta's much-loved festivals, take your time sipping $14 bottomless mimosas at Red Pepper Taqueria. The weekend special is available until 3 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.
Sunday – Why bask on a sun drenched patio elsewhere when you can Basque in the sun at Gypsy Kitchen each Sunday from 5 to 8 p.m. and indulge in $5 sangria, $4 Tinto de Veranos and 50% off select dishes on open air cocktail lounge?
Bringing your kids along with you to lunch or dinner? Sushi joint Genki allows kids to eat FREE on Sundays when the adult their with purchases a meal.
Eileen Falkenberg-Hull for The AJC
Committed to creating an unforgettable dining experience for each and every guest, Mimmo Alboumeh’s contagious spirit has landed him a loyal following. Owner of MAYA Steaks & Seafood in Sandy Springs and Red Pepper Taqueria in Buckhead and Decatur, Mimmo boasts more than 20 years of experience in the culinary industry. Born in Lebanon, he grew up in Spain and spent time in Italy before moving to Georgia. Drawing from his extensive knowledge of Spanish cuisine, Mimmo has redefined the typical Mexican dining experience at Red Pepper Taqueria, offering signature dishes and brunch options bursting with flavor using locally sourced and organic ingredients, matched with an unparalleled tequila selection, and signature cocktails. (photos and bio courtesy of Caren West PR)
- Hot Dish Review